Design Lead Engineer
|Salary||£40k. - £50k. pa.|
Our client is a leader in railway rolling stock engineering, enhancement and systems integration and provides high quality turnkey project and consultancy services to maximise vehicle utilisation and performance. With excellent rail engineering, production and project management skills; The company operates from design and engineering offices at our Wolverton facility where we not only design but install and maintain rolling stock.
Our client presently wish to recruit a Design Lead to work within its existing team of rolling stock designers. The positions will report directly to the Head of Design and Structural Engineering.
In this role you will work as the lead of a design team assisting with new product design launches and existing product drawing support for improvements and updates on Rolling Stock.
You will be using Solid Edge design packages to produce models and technical drawing whilst checking and verifying the work of other team members.
This varied role will also encompass vehicle surveys (both at our Wolverton Facility and at customer facilities), production support and assisting design team whilst delivering presentations to customers and leading design reviews.
- Be responsible for delivering complete design packages, on time and to budget for a range of engineering challenges related to passenger and freight rolling stock, by leading a team of multi-skilled designers.
- Support the Head of Design and Structural Engineering with the development and training of the design team and train new employees to follow company's procedures and workflows within the PLM system.
- Liaison with customers, suppliers, and internal engineering and production stakeholders.
- Leading design projects and hosting design reviews in collaboration with the Head of Design and Structural Engineering.
- Create new and modify existing 3D designs using SolidEdge and ensure drawings are created to both the company and Industry Standards.
- Undertake vehicle surveys conducted at maintenance depots around the country to confirm the status of the existing vehicle design and to investigate and confirm the interfacing/integration of new equipment.
- Work to and develop agreed procedures for the control of all drawings and documentation produced. Ensure Designs are supplied to the standards defined by the customer, the industry and compnay.
- Develop company's use of the Teamcenter PLM system to optimise workflows and ensure designs are completed efficiently and consistently.
- Assist the Head of Design and Structural Engineering to grow the design Team’s 3D scanning and reverse engineering capabilities.
· The ideal candidate will have an engineering background from within the rail industry.
· 3D modelling and drawing experience of mechanical assemblies and fabrications with formal training in SolidEdge (or equivalent) or demonstrable equivalent experience.
· Experienced at creating electrical installation designs using CAD packages and developing electrical assembly schedules using spreadsheets.
· Experience of working with PLM systems such as Teamcenter (or equivalent).
· Experience of managing or leading design projects and developing junior designers within an engineering environment.
· A technical design or engineering qualification to HNC level or higher.
· Ideally experience will have been gained in a new build or refurbishment / enhancements sector, with particular experience of the UK rail market desirable. However, candidates with good engineering knowledge from other sectors of the industry would also be welcomed.
· An enthusiasm for keeping abreast of emerging technical developments in this area, to identify methods to improve the service offering.
· Resourceful, self-motivated and organised individual, with good time management.
· IT literate.
· Able to communicate with people working at a variety of levels within the organisation.