Electrical Design Engineer
|Location||Coulsdon, South London|
|Salary||£49k. - £53k.|
Position - Full Summary
As the Company's Southern Projects team continues to grow, we have vacancies for Electrical Design Engineers with experience of designing systems utilised at railway stations, including OPO CCTV, Wireless Access Points, Leaky Feeder, CRMS and associated Civil components to allow installation.
Our Projects team are responsible for a major OPO Installation and Commissioning programme with LUL. This includes the deployment of new OPO CCTV assets with consideration to existing communication assets and achieving the required standards. The transformation of legacy OPO systems to modern infrastructure ensures our work helps to improve the rail passenger experience and provide an efficient operational railway.
Reporting to the Head of Engineering (South), you will work as part of a multi-skilled technical team, with responsibility for undertaking all technical aspects of the delivery of design packages and implementation of system designs for the OPO CCTV project. You will be responsible for the design aspects of the technical solution for OPO CCTV system, which will be a combination of CRMS, Off Train Communications Antennas and associated cabling, Support Civil installation design elements, CSDE Loops and Platform Stopping Markers.
The role will involve interpreting detailed survey information of railway infrastructure and producing conceptual and detailed designs, inclusive of detailed drawings for the Installation of the OPO CCTV system and associated systems. The design will be inclusive of civil and mechanical aspects of the system, which will include, but are not limited to, fixing arrangements, fabrication drawings and information to allow for the completion of the installation and completion of mechanical calculations and Design certification regarding Civil and Mechanical aspects. The role will also include the need to support site teams with onsite night visits to address site enquires during survey and installation processes.
- Managing deliverables for design elements from design stage through to As-Built phase.
- Complete internal design reviews for project documentation prior to release to ensure compliance with relevant specifications.
- Production of Conceptual and Detailed design layout plans, sections, elevations, and detailed drawings for various stages of the project lifecycle.
- Coordinates product samples for testing, gives technical advice and presentations, and solves integration issues.
- Analyses technical issues at all stages and facilitates problem solving with manufacturer support.
- Ensure that Company's design solutions are undertaken with consideration of commercial, program implications and risks/hazards.
- Implementing health and safety risk assessments at design stage, ensuring designs are prepared and/or modified to avoid foreseeable health and safety risks at installation stage.
- Able to work as part of a dynamic team, as well as demonstrating individual drive and ownership of allocated tasks.
- Support the culture of continuous HSE improvement.
- Attend training events at the Company's premises and those of third-party training organization.
- Capable of working to tight project time scales whilst paying attention to detail, and act comfortably under pressure.
- A good understanding of the Company, electrical & mechanical design regulations.
Experience, skills, and Qualifications
- Preferably a HNC or degree in an engineering or telecoms related discipline
- Preferably (but not essential) experience delivering telecoms related projects into a Rail or Metro environment
- Ability to effectively direct others in the production of design packages and the implementation of these designs in a safe and controlled manner
- Keen problem solver
- Strong documentation skills
- Good communicator (both written and verbal)
- Ability to work effectively in a team
- System design experience of at least three years (preferably more) of the following station communications systems: OPO CCTV, security CCTV (Analogue and IP), Wireless Access Points, Leaky Feeder, or other elements such as CRMS and Civils installation.
- Knowledge of British Standards, experience of Railway standards.
- Profound understanding of technical drawings and draftsmanship
- Experience of Railway Communication systems