Intermediate Mechanical Design Engineer
|Salary||£30,000 - £35,000 + company car/car allowance|
A exciting opportunity has arisen for an Intermediate Design Engineer with a Building Services back to join one of the UK's leading Engineering companies.
This is a key appointment within the mechanical and electrical design team requires an intermediate level engineer to help lead the mechanical engineering activities, providing detailed design engineering as well as working closely with the sales/estimating team to provide concept designs, estimates and budgets to a variety of projects. This position will report directly to the Design Manager. This role is suited to an engineer with good experience of low temperature hot water heating design and can accurately design both new heating networks and integrate new plant into existing systems. A key part of the role is the ability to lead and assist other members of the design team. In addition to main design duties this role enjoys a close working relationship with live engineering projects and installations. The candidate will need to support the site operations team and be able to make informed decisions on all mechanical matters. The role will suit somebody who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, working with multiple disciplines, new technologies and new concepts.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Review enquiries with the Projects Team and agree feasibility to full concept designs for all mechanical systems.
- Survey sites to assess existing building services systems and provide concepts and comment on client requirements.
- Provide concept designs and costings and assist in tender preparation including specification writing.
- Development of initial feasibility designs to full detailed design on successful projects - taking the lead of the mechanical and electrical design team as required.
- Calculate HVAC loads, electrical consumption, flow rates, pipe sizes etc.
- Have a solid understanding of controls to be able to liaise with the controls engineers to agree a control philosophy and assist creation of descriptions of operation.
- Responsible for the mechanical designs to agreed project budgets
- Assist in the preparation of equipment schedules, equipment selections, and supplier's quotations as requested.
- Assist in the preparation of design and specification packages, which are handed over to the Projects Team.
- Attend project meetings internally and with clients as required.
- Assist in the resolution of problems and issues on site as they occur.
- Prepare documentation for the Operation and Maintenance manual, obtaining copies of warranties, certificates and "as fitted" drawings as necessary.
- Support the customer post installation and answer queries.
- Post Project Evaluation of Key Lessons Learnt.
- Attend scoping and design meetings, and other meetings as required, to provide project and enquiry updates.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience using industry standard software packages such as CAD, Hevacomp and IES etc
- A solid understanding in mechanical engineering and building services as a whole
- Minimum of Degree qualified within Building Services, Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- Worked towards a Chartered Engineer status
- Strong technical experience essential.