Principal Project Mananger
|Salary||Up to £85,000 pa.|
Principal Project Manager The Principal Project Manager is a key role in the organization with responsibility for ensuring that progressive Project Management excellence is delivered across the organization through a supportive PMO function as well as direct delivery responsibility of the Project Management team on some projects. They ensure pre and post contract Project Management process, resource, strategy and culture is delivered to the company plan and expectations. Behaviors and Overview A tenacious passion to work collaboratively, positively, robustly in engagement and negotiation with the client , supplier and internal teams to enable the optimised delivery of all project requirements safely, to time, cost and quality. At the same time protecting the interests of the company, minimising project and business risk and ensuring expected project/contract returns are correctly forecast, managed and optimised. A solutions provider, with ability to quickly move between strategy and detailed delivery as required for the business. They will be the functional line manager for the project management team across the business. The Principal Project Manager will define and develop the process for effective project mobilisation and project execution employed in all projects pre and post contract. They will define the project architecture and governance processes for optimised project operational and financial review and will be responsible for ensuring that the entire project portfolio provides accurate and timely reporting to the senior management team. The lead Project Managers in each project will be responsible for P&L within their project, optimising project revenue and gross margin, identifying, quantifying and managing risk and opportunities and for ensuring project deliverables are on time and to the defined quality and H&S standards. The Principal Project Manager will be responsible for ensuring that the entire project portfolio delivers to the business expectations on each of these metrics as well as identifying best practices and ensuring they are implemented effectively across projects. The Principal Project Manager will manage mentor and coach staff at various levels to drive the continuous success of the business and will identify and promote talent within the team in line with a clearly defined succession plan.
• Defining the project management Architecture and Governance Process for the group, including a range of project types including rolling stock modification and repair, software development, procurement of materials, manufactured goods and services, subcontracting and infrastructure construction and integration.
• Lead and develop project managers to optimise performance and efficiency of projects.
• Drive the cost management culture throughout project delivery including defining solutions, setting expectations and monitoring cost performance.
• Utilise the Planning function to accurately predict cost of completion, resource requirements, delivery and installation solutions, supplier and subcontract cost and performance, programme risk and opportunity and other elements of project control.
• Through the Project Management team lead the timely production of contract change evidence (cost and time) from the team including planning, engineering, operations, commercial, subcontractors and procurement.
• Accountable for all project delivery activities and responsible for the delivery of project budgets
• Develop a performance-driven culture with an emphasis on ownership, accountability, and development through people
• Be a "change" agent with the personality and drive to lead the organisation through change management and culture initiatives and have demonstrable ability to facilitate, support, advise, coach and provide clear objectives and communication to direct reports and colleagues within the wider business.
• Lead a diverse and growing project business.
• Create and deliver strategies to ensure continuous improvement activity is in place to drive year on year improvements. (Improve every day)
• Develop Project Management strategies to support tender and variation opportunities
• Determination and quantified management of all project risk through detailed interpretation of the contract requirements, operational environment and delivery methodology.
• Proficient in the understanding and implementation of NEC construction contracts and subcontracts, NR/LUL design, delivery and installation contracts, Rolling stock overhaul, modification and service contracts.
• Understanding customer business requirements and ensure contractual arrangements meet the needs of the customer and the company, through seeking out and developing win value add solutions
• Being the customer’s senior Project Management interface and therefore ensuring the company maintain a strong positive business relationship
• Strive for Project Management excellence in every aspect of the delivery of the business contracts and represent this in all colleague interactions.
• Lead the Project Management delivery of The Company (Communications , Design, Software, Civils, Electrical and Power, On Rail Installation (Network Rail , Mersey Travel and London Underground), Infrastructure and Rolling Stock Maintenance, Rolling stock overhaul, modification and spares supply)
• Develop the project management team to provide clear personal development progress paths and to ensure we have and engaged and motivated team.
• Provide clear, accurate and timely reporting to the Chief Projects Officer and wider exec team on the performance and health of the projects in the business as well as quantified risks and opportunities.
• Provide deputization for the Chief Projects Officer in specific areas when required
• Develops and implements Project Management process to visualize and optimize the successful delivery of projects and other contracts, including development and production of weekly and period reporting dashboards
• Ensure that the expected profitability is optimized to our contractual entitlement.
• Produce , monitor and communicate internal commercial project health reports including , status of Early warnings, CEs, EOT, Instructions, WIP, Cash, Applications etc.
• Recommends and delivers project improvement initiatives
• Leads project/contract financial control with the production of profit and loss, cash flow and KPI’s, cost to complete statements, EAC statements , earned value and productivity targeting and analysis.
• Ensuring compliance with all legislative and internal policies is achieved and contract processes are diligently followed.
• Regular checking with commercial that robust procedures are in place the timely capture and close out all variations, claims (Failed Dependencies, Relief Events, Changes) and compensation events.
Education level and/or relevant experience(s)
• Relevant University Degree with functionally focused, technological expertise and experience in operational planning and project performance improvement.
• 8 years + of relevant experience in the field
• Strong command of the English language
• Formal Project Management Certification is Highly Desirable
• Full membership of a recognized Professional institution or working towards
• The proven experience and ability to deliver the Head of Projects role as detailed above.
• Ability to successfully build and maintain client relationships whilst optimizing the company business interests.
• Proficient in the use of MS Office software
• Has a very disciplined approach to process compliance and development.
• A collaborative style of working fostering, innovation, team working and accountability through the organization.
• Good working knowledge of how Primavera P6, Microsoft Project, Lean and various project management and control packages can be used to optimize project performance.
• Flexible cooperation with management and experts, inside and outside the company driving to drive project management excellence across the business
• This role requires someone who is a flexible and adaptable project leader in both tactical and strategic Project optimization requirements They will need to be hands on and undertake a range of activities to meet business requirements.