Senior Civil and Structural Design Engineer
|Salary||£250 - £300 per day|
As the Company's Southern Projects team continues to grow, we have a vacancy for a Senior Civil/Structural Design Engineer with experience of designing and assessing structures at railway stations, including OPO CCTV, Wireless Access Points, Leaky Feeder, inclusive of associated CRMS and civil and structural components to allow installation.
Our Projects team are responsible for a major OPO Installation and Commissioning programme for LUL. This includes the deployment of new OPO CCTV assets with consideration to existing communication assets and achieving the required standards. The transformation of legacy OPO systems to modern infrastructure ensures our work helps to improve the rail passenger experience and provide an efficient operational railway.
Reporting to the Lead Civil/Structural Engineer you will work as part of a multi-skilled technical team, with responsibility for undertaking technical aspects of the delivery of design packages and implementation of system designs for the civil, structural and mechanical elements of the OPO CCTV project. You will be responsible for carrying out surveys, preparing designs, design calculations and other documents in connection with design of the technical solution for the OPO CCTV system civil and structural requirements to allow fabrication of relevant brackets, posts and arms and the associated installation to the relevant standards.
The role will involve carrying out detailed surveys, interpreting survey information, record drawings and assessments of railway infrastructure, producing design and assessment calculations, preparing design sketches and other design documents, and generally assisting with design tasks in connection with the civil and structural aspects of the new OPO CCTV system. The design and calculation work will be inclusive of, but is not limited to: foundations, steel, concrete and timber structures, cable management system supports, fixing arrangements etc., to allow the completion of design certification and installation of the civil and structural aspects of the project. The role will also include the need to support site teams by making on-site day and night visits to carry out surveys and address site enquiries during the survey and installation processes.
- Contributing to the production of deliverables for design elements from design stage through to As-Built phase.
- Contributing to internal design reviews for project documentation prior to release to ensure compliance with relevant specifications.
- Assisting in the production of conceptual and detailed design layout plans, sections, elevations, and detailed drawings for various stages of the project lifecycle.
- Collating product samples for testing and researching technical matters.
- Assisting with analysing technical issues and facilitating problem solving with manufacturer support.
- Assisting in the preparation of health and safety risk assessments at design stage, allowing designs to be prepared and/or modified to avoid foreseeable health and safety risks at installation stage.
- Ability to work as part of a dynamic team, as well as demonstrating initiative and ownership of allocated tasks.
- Supporting the culture of continuous HSE improvement.
- Attending training events at the company's premises and those of third-party training organizations.
- Capable of working to defined timescales whilst paying attention to detail.
- Application of current European civil and structural design standards.
- Producing design calculations including use of structural analysis and design software
Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
- A degree in civil or structural engineering (level 6/7).
- Civil or structural design experience of at least 3 years which should preferably include foundations, steel, reinforced concrete, masonry and timber structures.
- Experience of the assessment of existing structures, including English Heritage listed structures, would be an advantage but is not essential.
- Understanding of technical drawings, including structural drawings of reinforced concrete and steel construction.
- Keen problem solver
- Good communicator (both written and verbal)
- Ability to work effectively in a team
- Knowledge of current European civil and structural design standards.
- Experience of LU standards would be an advantage but is not essential.
- Experience of structural analysis and design software