Lead Fibre Engineer
|Location||Multiple locations across the UK|
We deliver innovative technology solutions and services to owners and operators of mission critical infrastructure.
With extensive experience in the telecommunications and networks markets, We works with clients to develop intelligent connected solutions that solve operational challenges. We innovate, design and build telecoms, network, energy and train borne technology solutions, while providing a dedicated customer service. Our maintenance organisation supports our solutions post deployment, to ensure reliability and extended operational life.
We are a Quality, Safety and Environmentally focused business, which constantly drives through performance improvements to make the business stronger and smarter for the future.
We are currently seeking a Lead Fibre Engineer with specialised skills in Rail Fibre to join our Rail Team to work with our existing engineering team to deliver an expanding and exciting portfolio of rail telecommunications projects as part of an established Rail Business.
You will be part of a team responsible for the successful design and delivery of telecommunications projects for major clients including Network Rail Telecommunications, Network Rail High Speed, Transport for London, Merseytravel and other agencies such as Train Operators, Councils and Passenger Transport Executives.
You will lead the Fibre engineering team and help to develop and enhance the capabilities of the team and identify areas for improvement.
The Lead Fibre Engineer will undertake the following responsibilities to support the Rail Infrastructure department:
- Able to lead the Fibre engineering team in all aspects of Fibre [ Loose tube, Spider Web Ribbon] Installation. Termination and Testing.
- Able to solve engineering problems effectively and, challenge the remit, thus enabling the development of robust engineering solutions in order to provide our clients with the best engineering solution and thus offering them excellent value for money on all projects involving Fibre.
- Scope and supervise surveys
- Lead and manage all lineside fibre engineering in relation to the projects undertaken
- Help to develop the production of drawings, reports and specifications.
- Check, review and accept technical work by the design team or design partners.
- Leading and assisting with the preparation of documentation relating to fibre works for projects;
- Input to and preparation of bids and proposals where required
- Manage delivery teams
- Providing technical guidance and mentorship to junior members of the team.
Create and review all necessary site documentation associated with Fibre engineering works.
- Attend Engineering meetings and ensure relevant stakeholders are updated
- Undertake the review of Fibre bills of materials for technical designs prior to submission to the client and authorisation to purchase equipment and parts for installation of designs.
- Interface with other discipline leads, construction teams and clients directly to ensure project delivery is undertaken to the required standards and timescales, this will include attending regular project update meetings, kick-off meetings with our clients, construction meetings and project meetings.
- Produce, review and approve detailed risk assessments covering Fibre installations and assist with installation planning and testing to ensure Hazards are identified and Risks mitigated.
- Assist in the production and review of Planned Works Notices for fibre works.
- Sharing knowledge, best practice and innovation across our business, providing guidance, training and feedback with other related disciplines and skills, and supporting and providing mentorship to other members of staff allowing for continuous improvement.
- Managing client satisfaction and expectation, undertaking development reviews of staff and involvement in recruitment.
- Lead and develop the Fibre team to enhance the project capabilities.
The Lead Fibre Engineer will be responsible for applying the following competences, skills and knowledge:
- Fully competent and experienced within all aspects of Fibre Installation, Termination and Testing.
- Fully competent and experienced in Test Analysis, Approval & Submission.
- Fully competent and experienced with on-site Test Analysis and remediation.
- Fully competent and experienced in executing on site all Test Strategies, Test Plans & Updating of Test Log documentation for submission to the TIC.
- Fully competent and experienced in the use of Fusion Splicer’s both Ribbon and single core type.
- Fully competent and experienced in the use of OTDR and analyzing software, EXFO Fast reporter, 2 & 3.
- Experience with undertaking Fibre and Route surveys at sites across the UK and producing detailed survey reports, proposals and scope of works.
- Experience and understanding of the UK rail communication and signalling network.
- Competent user of Microsoft Office software including Word, Teams and Excel.
- Able to communicate technical detail clearly and to a high standard in verbal, written, sketched and drawn forms of communication, including presentation skills.
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships with client engineers, project managers and discipline CRE’s.
- Experience at managing Fibre installation and Testing processes within a team and via sub-contractors.
- Promote a culture of safe working practices, safe by design and high standards of Health, Safety and Environmental impacts in the business.
- Experienced with ISO and Network Rail Standards.
- Full UK driving licence is (mandatory).
- Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) Qualification (mandatory).
- Personal Track Safety (PTS) Qualification (mandatory).
- Controller of Site Safety/SWL (COSS) Qualification would be beneficial but is not essential.
- C&G 3667.2 qualification (mandatory).
- NRSWA street-works ticket would be beneficial but is not essential.
- CSCS card (or equivalent) would be beneficial but is not essential.
- Experience in copper jointing and testing would be beneficial but is not essential.
- Experience of working on internal and external cable and duct installations, both pulled and blown, fibre jointing, fibre testing (OTDR, PON and ILM).