Linux Infrastructure Engineer
|Location||Up to £60,000 per annum|
My client is a specialist in the delivery of innovative technology solutions and services within the railway infrastructure.
An opportunity has arisen for a Linux Infrastructure Engineer to join the existing team and work across multiple projects for initial 4 months with a view to extend.
Remote working, occasional travel to Scunthorpe/Liverpool.
- Maintain and manage VMWare infrastructure to ensure stability and availability.
- Manage and maintain virtual computing environment base on VMware and administers computer systems with windows + Linux environments.
- Administer Linux servers for all day-to-day functions including managing DNS, storage (glusterFS), Ubuntu 20.04 OS and SQL Server databases in both development and production.
- Diagnose system operational problems quickly and effectively
- Automate systems administration tasks utilizing open-source configuration management tools
- Manage and maintain backups for several systems including VMWare, VMs, operating systems, K8s and databases
- Design, build, and maintain Linux-based services using a variety of distros including Ubuntu and Yocto
- Work with the engineering team to define and implement best practices and standards within the organization
- Support both on-premises and Azure cloud-based virtual machines and systems
- Create and deploy scripts to automate clean up routines, check system space allocations and system memory usage
- Tune operating systems and applications to increase performance and reliability of services
- Support K8s application environment + good knowledge of container-based technologies
- Troubleshoot issues for maintaining network and data security.
- Install and configure DHCP, DNS, and NFS
- Support/perform deployments to Dev, QA & production environments
- Assist software developers + Dev Ops engineers with software builds and releases
- Document system administration procedures for routine and complex tasks
- Create scripts to automate jobs via cron and various scripting technologies using industry best practice techniques
- Participate in an on-call office hours support of customer’s systems
- Coordinate with vendors to resolve hardware and software problems
- Good working knowledge of Linux environments (such as Ubuntu 20.04, Yocta, etc)
- Linux Server administration
- Automation using scripting languages (bash, shell, python, cron)
- VMWare management
- VM + container-based technologies
- Working knowledge of Azure cloud, Kubernetes, SQL Server, etc beneficial