Mechanical Building Services Design Engineer- Birmingham
Coleman James are working with an established, award-winning, professional multi-disciplinary engineering practice with a passion for excellence, innovation and environmental sustainability. Throughout every project, they use their construction and engineering experience and their knowledge of the client's business to add value. Their multi-disciplinary teams work alongside clients and developers.
We are looking for a Mechanical Building Services Design Engineer to join the existing MEP team that provides engineering support to a number of Blue-Chip International Brands.
Experience within the commercial/industrial, retail, residential and education sectors are essential with experience in automotive and clean/dry rooms is desirable.
The successful candidate will be responsible, under the leadership of the Associate Director/Senior Engineer, for the project management of small to medium scale projects and individual engineering task(s) for numerous schemes for client’s cross sector. This will include the creation, development of and finalising engineering design solutions of mechanical services elements, working with other team members and project teams together with direct liaison with the client and other design team professionals.
The candidate shall have experience across the breadth of mechanical building services such as:
- Foul Drainage Above Ground
- Hot and Cold Water
- Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Central Control/Building Management
Also, the candidate should be able to:
- Complete survey work and site inspections
- Undertake design calculations using various methods, from hand calculations to software-based modelling
- Prepare drawn information
- Write technical specifications
- Write technical reports
- Problem solve, initiate solutions typically identified by Senior Engineer
- Exhibit active project risk management
- Represent the company at meetings
- Maintain records and archives to company standards
- Input into commercial aspects of projects they are working on
- Input into ensuring profitability on projects and understand the scope of the brief and budget allocated for their time
- Manage their own workload and that of Graduate Engineers and Admin staff to meet defined targets and deadlines
- Support the Senior Management Team with client relationship management on projects they are working on
- Take responsibility for their own professional and personal development
We are interested in hearing from established building services engineering candidates who have been working within building services and specifically building services consultancy with Five  years post graduate ‘hands on’ design experience. An accredited degree to a recognised institution is an essential requirement for this role and ideally someone who is already part way through their journey to Chartered Engineer (CEng) status with either the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) or the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
The candidate for this position will have a high level of computer literacy a good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Autodesk Revit MEP, National Building Specification (NBS), Cymap and ideally EDSL Tas. The successful candidate will be a required to provide support to our other teams and/or offices from time to time.
The ability to operate as part of a wider project team within appropriate authority levels and to represent the company with confidence to a variety of clients and outside organisations is expected. The candidate will have the ability to work on their own initiative as well as part of one of our dynamic teams with a high attention to accuracy and detail.
A self-motivated person will have ample opportunity to improve their knowledge, skills, experience and to work with some of the world’s greatest businesses across a wide range of industry sectors. You will be expected to contribute your ideas, add value, play your part and progress in a consultancy that is ‘Engineering the Future’ TM.
We offer an internal mentoring and training program aimed at developing the individual as well as the “Engineer” with a view to progression to Chartered Engineer (CEng) status.
This is a Permanent Position and Coleman James are acting as an Employment Business.