Road Safety Engineer
|Location||North East Lincolnshire|
|Salary||Up to £37,000|
My client is looking for a Road Safety Engineer to work as part of the Traffic Team and assist the Traffic Team Manager. The role will involve the provision of traffic and road safety engineering services within North East Lincolnshire.
This exciting opportunity offers work/life balance with hybrid working arrangements.
We are looking for an applicant who can contribute to the delivery of services for area of responsibility and to lead, as appropriate.
Main responsibilities for the role;
- Provide traffic and road safety input into the preparation, design and delivery of major schemes and attend meetings to provide support as appropriate.
- assist in the management and monitoring of works programmes or services
- Provide professional engineering advice to working groups and retained client in the development of road safety engineering solutions on a regional and local level
- Deliver the Regeneration Partnership's road safety KPIs
- Have regular contact with the police in relation to road safety engineering matters and attend the regular Safer Roads Humber road safety partnership Engineering meetings and Working Group meetings.
- Ensure that future casualty reduction programmes achieve set targets (both local and national)
- Manage the relevant traffic and road safety revenue and capital budgets
- Be responsible for arranging safety audits and for actioning any findings arising from safety audits undertaken
- Respond to FOI and formal service complaints on behalf of the Traffic & Road Safety team
- Work with Safer Roads Humber to manage the authorities existing speed camera sites and review any potential new sites
- In a Project Manager role identify a forward programme of Local Safety Schemes, informing the Local Transport Plan on the estimated cost of this programme and undertaking monthly budget monitoring and outturn forecasting
- Provide the highway design team with Project Briefs for all road safety capital works
- Review, adopt and update the Regeneration Partnership's Speed Management Strategy, including the Speed Management Study and Casualty Reduction Strategy.
- Attend RTC sites to assess any highway related impacts
- Respond to, investigate and act upon queries and requests from elected members, town/parish councils, council officers and members of the public, producing reports and general correspondence and attending meetings when requested by the Traffic Team Manager.
- Support the management team in delivering its service plans and achieving its financial objectives
- Assist with the supervision and provide support to Traffic team technical support staff
- Support Health and Safety, Environmental Management System, Quality Management System and Construction Design Management in a positive and constructive manner
- Undertake any other duties which may be reasonably expected at this level.
- You may be required to communicate directly with elected members, parish councils, senior client officers and members of the public. Some matters are likely to be contentious or complex requiring support, tact, persuasion and sensitivity.
- Represent our client at council and public meetings on Traffic and Road Safety matters, some of which may be outside normal working hours
- Contribute to the full range of related highway duties associated with the Highways and Transport service.
Essential Requirements for the role:
- Have a minimum of a HND/HNC or equivalent knowledge skills and experience in a relevant subject (A)
- Extensive and demonstrable experience of traffic and/or road safety in a local authority or consultancy (A)
- Identification of solutions for traffic and road safety schemes which improve traffic flows or lead to a reduction in RTCs (A/I)
- Experience of contributing to accident investigation, accident reduction and road safety (A/I)
- Detailed knowledge and experience of the preparation of accident statistics reports, in handling data, monitoring before and after studies (A/I)
- Detailed Knowledge of accident investigation systems and procedures including safety audits (A/I)
- Have experience of the effective use of IT including using AutoCAD and Keysoft software (A)
- Detailed knowledge of relevant legislation in relation to traffic and road safety (I)
- Familiar with current thinking on technological solutions to road safety issues (I)
- Identification and implementation of engineering solutions for accident areas and routes (A/I)
- Experience of building and maintaining effective relationships with members of the public and elected members including attendance at public and council meetings (A/I)
- Working with key stakeholders e.g. Police, Elected Members (A/I)
- Ability to supervise and manage others (A/I)
- Ability to plan, prioritise and organise own and others to meet frequently changing deadlines (A/I)
- Good oral and written communication skills (A/I)
- Good team worker (A/I)
- Customer focused (A/I)
- Ability to travel to sites across North East Lincolnshire (A)
- Flexible to meet the needs of the service (A/I)
Desirable but not essential:
- Membership of or be working towards membership of a relevant Professional Institute.
- Have undertaken the RoSPA Road Safety Engineering (10 day) course.
- Line management experience (A)
- Budget management experience (A)