SISS Design Manager
|Salary||Up to £75k|
The Design Manager will lead and direct the Station Information and Security Systems (SISS) engineering team to design and deliver SISS projects for our Rail business within agreed timescales and budgeted costs.
This is a leading role high profile opportunity, we are looking for a skilled technical leader, with demonstrable experience of leading technical teams, ideally in a control environment.
What will be my Responsibilities?
- Lead and manage all SISS development and delivery activity.
- Manage all Production activity to deliver SISS solutions, including Drawing Office, sub-contractors, products and the implementation.
- Communicate the business vision to direct reporting engineering staff.
- Plan, co-ordinate and manage SISS engineering resources, people and facilities.
- Co-ordinate engineering staff recruitment, development and training to meet current and future business needs.
- Manage staff objective setting, work allocation, performance assessment, recognition and disciplinary procedures.
- Develop and implement strategies to improve business efficiency within the engineering team, including process improvement, outsourcing, resourcing and technology/design standardisation and re-use.
- Develop and maintain the standardised parts catalogue.
- Ensure the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools are applied throughout the engineering life cycle.
- Ensure products and projects are delivered in accordance with Siemens Mobility Safety and Quality procedures and meet all applicable legislative, safety and customer requirements.
- Provide estimates for engineering projects and tenders with regard to resources, plans, technology, risk and process.
- Monitor relevant technological developments and identify how such technologies may be utilized within the SISS engineering team.
- Encourage creativity and innovation within the engineering team.
- Provide practical input for strategic technology decisions and support the preparation of Technology Roadmaps.
- Maintain and develop good relationships with internal and external customers, industry associations, suppliers and Partners.
- Maintain and develop own professional competence and encourage and assist persons working under their supervision similarly.
What Skills, Qualifications and Experience do I need for this role?
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant engineering subject area.
- Chartered Engineer or equivalent status.
- An engineering background with previous management experience in a SISS engineering environment.
- Proven success leading and motivating a team of professional engineers to effectively design and deliver complex systems.
- Experience and knowledge of relevant engineering processes at all stages of the engineering lifecycle.
- Proven experience in the use of requirements management tools.
- Proven experience in the use of defect tracking, version control and configuration management tools.
- Proven experience of system design and implementation.
- Proven experience of integrating third party sub-systems into complete solutions.
- Proven experience in the development and implementation of process improvements to deliver increased efficiency, quality and productivity in a relevant engineering environment.
- Proven experience of the process/practices of appraisal, performance management and professional development.
- Proven experience providing estimates for engineering projects and tenders with regard to resources, plans, technology, risk and process.
- Strong business and financial understanding and appreciation of contractual, commercial and IPR issues associated with an engineering business.
- Good knowledge of IT systems and software, especially Microsoft Office and Project.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
- Excellent organisational, time management and problem solving skills.
- Full Driving licence.
- Previous experience of sub-contractor and supplier management desirable.
- Knowledge of data communication technologies and requirements, such as copper and optical comms, serial and ethernet comms, modems, network switches and routers, is desirable.
- Knowledge of BS7671 17th Edition wiring regulations desirable.